An accreditation mark on a test / Calibration report signifies that the laboratory issuing the report has been assessed and found to be competent by a third party. It therefore promotes confidence that the test result on that report is reliable.
An ISO / IEC 17025 mark of laboratory accreditation scheme is generally the logo of an accreditation body accompanied by the laboratory's accreditation body which may have a corporate logo, which is separate from the accreditation mark.
An accreditation mark is normally owned by the accreditation body and accreditation confers the right to use the mark on test certificates, company letterheads and advertisements provided certain rules are followed. These rules stipulate the manner in which the ISO 17025: 2017 Certification is to be used eg size, color, position and other conditions if it is to be used on certificates eg an accompaniment statement to indicate that accreditation is for specific tests as set out in the accreditation body's Directory, disclaimers, conditions under which non-accredited tests may appear, etc.
In India National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) Provided Laboratory accreditation services to Testing / Calibration laboratories that have provided to work in accordance with NABL- criteria based on internationally accepted standards and guidelines, such as ISO / IEC 17025: 2017.
Benefits of Accreditation to testing laboratories
- The accredited laboratory has to carry out its testing activities in such a way as to meet the requirements of ISO / IEC 17025. So laboratory gets better control over operation because quality procedures are in use
- All the masters get calibrated through NABL accredited laboratory so the accuracy level of the test results increases.
- By participating in proficiency testing and arranging inter laboratory program can compare its results with other accredited laboratory.
- The laboratory will have to perform all testing as per IS so the competency level of laboratory increases.
- Improve customer confidence in the testing reports issued by the laboratories
- As a part of accreditation the personnel performing specific tasks should be qualified on the basis of appropriate education, training, experience so the personnel skill increases.
- The Laboratory has to control the environment (ie temperature and humidity) within specified limit so the quality of test results increases.
- By evaluating the uncertainty in testing, laboratory can prove its measurement capability
- Laboratory gets better control on operation because quality procedures are in use.
- Increases Laboratory competency Level.
- Improve customer confidence in the calibration / testing reports issued by the laboratories
Relationship with National International Standards (Traceability) Traceability is an essential requirement for any measurement that is made in any organization. Traceability is “The property of the result of a measurement wherebe it can be related to appropriate standards, generally national or international through an unbroken chain of comparisons”. It is also defined as “the ability to refer individual measurement results to national standards or nationally accepted measurement systems through an unbroken chain of comparisons”.
The international standards are maintained at International Bureau of Weights & Measures, BIPM at Paris, France and are recognized by international agreement. In India, National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi is designated as custodian for National Standards. In addition to national standards, a number of other standards are developed to enable industries have the required traceability to the National standard.